My Two Cents: Ivy and Bean are spunky and clever and appeal to both boys and girls. Their adventures, dreams, and mistakes are at once universal and totally unique. What kid hasn't dreamed of breaking a world record? But what kid has tried to do it by shattering a glass octopus using only the power of her voice? Like the characters themselves, this series is totally original and tons of fun.
Grade Level: 1-4
- Find your own world record to break at Guinness World Records, or see what records are most amazing to you! (Are the records in Ivy + Bean Break the Fossil Record real?)
- Learn more about Mary Anning at this great BBC site for kids.
- Check out the American Museum of Natural History's PaleontOLogy site (and all their other great OLogy sites) for games, activities, drawing lessons, and lots of other fun resources!
- Make this kid-friendly banana bread recipe and have your own backyard playdate!
More to Read:
- All the other books in the Ivy + Bean series! (This is book 3.)
- Another girl who looks to a book when she wishes her own life were more interesting: Utterly Me, Clarice Bean by Lauren Child
- Another girl who sometimes has conflicts with her older sister: Beezus and Ramona (and all the other Ramona books) by Beverly Cleary