With a friend or by yourself, look for the behaviors listed below (or click here for a printable version). Check those you find, then list the specific location or habitat.If you can, identify the species using an online or printed bird guide. If not, list some identifying characteristics. How many can you find in 15 minutes? I bet you’ll be surprised.
Can you find a bird doing each of these things?
- Singing or calling
- Preening (looks as if it is nibbling, tugging, or combing feathers with its beak)
- Bathing in water
- Taking a dust bath
- Perched on a branch
- Perched on a wire, or fence post
- Walking or hopping on the ground
- Standing on the ground
- Flying with a worm or insect in its mouth
- A group of birds perching together on a wire
- A flock of small birds chasing a large bird
- A group of birds flocking together
- Other (list behavior)
- Choose one species of bird and record behavior patterns at different times of the day for a week or more.
- Conduct your observations in different habitats at the same time of day.